There are so many hotels and options in New York City, and it can be hard to know where to start. But don’t worry, I’ve stayed at so many hotels and have found THE best place to stay In New York City.
Best Western Herald Square is a fantastic choice if you are headed to New York City. If want to save money on your accommodations but want a really nice place to stay, this is it. You may have preconceived notions of the Best Western brand. They have upped their game, which is nothing like it was before.
I recently stayed at this hotel on my solo trip to New York City. My next trip to NYC and subsequent trips after this is where I will be staying. Here is why you should too.
This is my HONEST review of Best Western Herald Square. This is NOT a sponsored post. I stayed at this location, traveling to see Summit ONE Vanderbilt.
Best Western Herald Square
I arrived early at my hotel, hoping I could check in early. I arrived and greeted a lovely gentleman and a quaint front desk. This is not a large hotel; it’s small but comforting. This Herald Square Hotel is located on a quiet street in a little nook of a row of buildings.
It was about noon when I arrived. The front desk stated they would not have anything available but check my bag and have something by 1:30 pm. I headed out to check the area out and grab a bite to eat.
What was nice and courteous, the front desk gentleman called me about an hour later to tell me my room was ready. I arrived, and he stated that he had given me the highest floor. However, he didn’t tell me my surprise I would find later that evening in my room. Please keep reading to find out what my surprise was.
Best Place to Stay in New York City For Cleaniness & Comfort
I was given the highest floor with a King Bed. The rooms are not your average-sized hotel room in NYC. They are larger. The first time I came to NYC, I stayed in Times Square (Do not do it), the hotel which will remain nameless, I could touch my bathroom from my bed. New York City hotels are known to be shoeboxes. This one was not.
The entire hotel is clean, my room was spotless, and since COVID, all the remotes were in plastic and sanitized. My room was maintained and cleaned very well.
My bed. Oh, the bed. Hotels usually have rock-hard mattresses. My bed was insanely comfortable, a pillow-top mattress with soft but firm pillows.
With that said, the decor is simple yet modern. The shower is my only complaint, seriously, my only complaint. It just did not have great pressure.
My Suprise-Small But Impressive
Here was my surprise. Best Western Herald Square is located two blocks from the Empire State Building. My room had an insane view of the skyscraper. At first, I didn’t look out the window when I arrived. I opened my curtains that night and was shocked!
The Best Place to Stay in New York City-Affordability
Best Western Herald Square is one of the most excellent, affordable hotels in New York City. I was able to book my room at this location for under $120 a night, and off days I noticed that the rooms get under $100 a night.
New York City’s hotel prices do fluctuate during peak season and certain days of the week. My room was for a Friday night, but I still paid $120; it was peak fall season. IF this hotel room were $225-$300 a night, it would still be worth the price.
Is Best Western Herald Square NICE Because its a Cheap Hotel in NYC?
Does a cheap hotel in New York City mean not being very nice? Yes, New York City has some pretty shoddy places. This hotel? It is immaculate, quiet, comfortable, and has everything you need in a hotel stay. The location is unbeatable, too.
People get wrapped up in “if it’s more expensive, it must be better.” Sure, New York City luxury hotels are awesome. In fact, they can be an experience. However, some of us just like a clean, comfortable place to rest our heads because let’s be honest, who is in their hotel instead of exploring and experiencing the most fantastic city in the world?
Best Place to Stay in New York City for Location and Accessibilty
Best Western Herald Square is located in the heart of New York City and near everything you want to see and experience. If this is your first time in New York City or you want a central location, This is it. It’s incredibly accessible to everything.
Insider Travel Tip: The subway station is the way to go in New York City. Please do not rent a car. Uber and Taxis get pricey, very pricey. This hotel location you can get around everywhere by the subway. It is intimidating at first, but if you use Google Maps, it will guide you EXACTLY step-by-step how to get to your destination. I always get the 7-day pass at the subway station for $33.
This hotel location cannot be beaten. Hands down.
- The subway station is one block. Its a six to ten minute ride to anywhere in the city including Central Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Downtown Manhattan, Brooklyn, Upper East Side, Upper West Side.
- Steps to 5th Ave.
- The famous, largest Macys in the world in one block.
- Bryant Park is a five minute walk
- A brief walk (which i did in heeled boots) to Summit One Vanderbilt, New York City’s newest cultrual experience. This is a not-to-miss thing to do in New York City.
- Two blocks the Morgan Library & Museum
- Ten Minute walk to Grand Central Terminal
Excellent Restaurants, Bars, and Coffee Houses
- Keens Steakhouse. This steakhouse has been in the Herald Square Theatre District since 1887 and it one of the best steakhouses in New York City. Its a classic, old-school chop house with premuim cuts of meat lobster an amazing pub menu and signature cocktails.
- Angelina Bakery A beautifully pink French bakery and tea room with authentic hot chocolates, airy Madeleines, elclairs, soups and sandwiches to-go or tea service. Be sure to try their signature french pastry the Mont-Blanc.
- Trademark Bar+Kitchen For a fantastic burger or brunch head to this qualnt speakeasy. The menu includes approachable American fare with classic cocktails and drinks. Our pick? The Mortadella Sandwich with a Cold Brew Old Fashioned.
Insider Travel Tip: I traveled solo to New York City, I wanted a picnic for my day in Central Park. Around the corner from this hotel, there is this fantastic place, The Picnic Basket, which will pack you a picnic.
Should You Stay at Best Western Herald Square?
YES! You will not regret staying at this hotel. This is the best hotel in New York City for families, too. I will be booking it when I travel with my kids here in the spring. Well, I will be booking this hotel from now on, my search is over for the best place to stay in NYC!
Happy travels and if you have any questions, feel free to reach out!
- Summit One Vanderbilt–You Must See the Most Amazing Views in NYC!
- The Best Hotels in New York City for the Ultimate Experience
This post may contain affiliate links, in which I may be paid a small commission if one of them is used at no cost or obligation to you, ever.