I am trying my hardest to keep my three-year-old busy this summer. She is highly active and likes to be a busy body. Sometimes, I can only keep her entertained for 20 minutes; I will take anything while working!
We did a cheap, budget-friendly, fun, summer activity for kids–a toddler can do this, and my nine-year-old loved it too. It takes a bit to make; however, the frozen dinosaur dig is so easy to make.
Supplies you need for the frozen dinosaur dig:
- A disposable baking pan. I bought an extra deep dish pan so the kids can work at the ice longer.
- Small to medium-sized play dinosaur toys. I did one ice block with the dinosaur fossils and then one with the dinosaur figurines.
- A kids toolkit. I got mine at Walmart for $10, and she loves to continue to play with the set. My son, who is nine, used a small metal hammer and small tools instead of plastic.
Directions to making your frozen dinosaur dig:
- Add a small amount of water to the bottom of your disposable baking pan. About two-three inches. Set your pan in the freezer on a flat surface, nothing in the way or on top of any food items.
- Place and space out a few of the dinosaurs in the pan and water.
- Freeze for at least three-four hours. Each layer takes about this long.
- Add another layer of water and dinosaurs after the first layer is frozen solid. Ensure the water is frozen because the water being poured over it will break and move the first layer of dinosaurs.
- Freeze and repeat until you have a full block of ice and dinosaurs.
- Take the block outside, and the kids can chip away at the ice. It takes quite a while to get through. We used some paintbrushes too to “excavate” the dinosaur bones.
This is such a fun summer activity for kids and takes minimal supplies, and keeps those kids busy for a bit! You really can use any kids of small, plastic toys, animals, ocean animals. Anything your heart desires. I thought it was fun to do dinosaur dig for the kids, and they loved it!!
This post contains affiliate links. I earn a commission if one of the links is used at no obligation or extra cost to you ever.